We are looking for a small number of high-impact shows which will inspire our audiences to engage with the climate emergency and ideally empower them to help make change. Shows with the provocatively funny spirit of Joe Lycett vs the Oil Giant or Celebrity Trash Monsters all the way through to more thoughtful films that help people understand how, and who, got us into this mess, and how we might get out of it.
Our climate content should be hopeful, irreverent, provocative, and never dull. Showcasing big ideas and storytelling with imagination, distinction, and drive, shocking and surprising our audiences and starting conversations you can’t escape.
We don’t want:
- Small shows specifically about the climate.
- To tell people what to do.
We do want:
- To help our audiences feel empowered and energised about living sustainably.
- To bring BIG talent to the agenda.
- To hold power to account with bold ideas that entertain and sustain.
- To prioritise impact over quantity when it comes to commissioning in this space.
- To provide an alternative to the tone and content of other broadcasters.
Crucially, this brief is open to all genres to interpret – an iconic comedy character is as valuable as a news worthy doc, taut drama, entertaining stunt or a viral social idea that gets people talking. The onus will be on finding ideas that are big and compelling and add to the global conversation on climate and sustainability.
Each commissioning department will have a dedicated Climate Lead
Comedy: Joe Hullait
Daytime & Features: Deborah Dunnett
Digital: Tom Pullen
Documentaries: Will Rowson
Entertainment: Genna Gibson
Factual Entertainment: Tim Hancock
News & Current Affairs: Nevine Mabro
Specialist Factual: Jonah Weston & Shaminder Nahal
Please direct Drama submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org, where the relevant Commissioning Editor will pick them up.